Terms At A Glance
I wanted to provide you all with a snapshot of some accomplishments during my two terms on the Board of Supervisors. This is not a full list but does give you an idea of our forward progress these first 7+ years!
We have accomplished a lot together.
2016 – 2019
• Worked to keep our taxes low, no tax increases to our residents his entire first term. NO TAX INCREASE on residential property in the entire first term.
• Worked together with the Board and Staff to see our County Credit Rating go to a AA+ status which is one step below the top AAA Rating in the USA. When first elected, McCarty inherited a financial situation where credit ratings were expected to drop. The higher rating saves us hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional interest costs and financing funding.
• It was McCarty’s proposed plan that was actually implemented to cut 25% off of the stormwater fee (a program mandated by the state)
• McCarty helped recover $40,000.00 in charitable donations from citizens to the Isle of Wight County Animal Shelter.
• Led the initiative to obtain the County’s 1st ever Nike Missile to have placed on our Nike Park Historical site
• Reduced the County’s principal debt by an extra $7 Million dollars
• Raised the county’s “Rainy Day” reserve fund from around 10% to over 20% and made the new policy to be a 15% reserve fund minimum, which bolsters our financial rating and stability.
• Added 5 new deputies to our Newport District in Carrollton which lowers response times and improves public safety in our community.
• Funded teacher and deputy raises and helped keep local healthcare costs low
• Worked to find ~$23 Million in taxpayer dollars used to fund capital projects, without borrowing extra funds, by cutting unnecessary spending and reducing administrative costs
• Fought to bring the new E911 towers throughout IOW County that provide a much-needed upgrade for our first responders. These towers are also tall enough to support a new hybrid broadband solution in our County, something McCarty will continue working towards.
• Our refuse and recycling centers were restored to a full schedule after making much-needed site and equipment improvements
• Led the reform of the County’s sign ordinance to allow our small businesses greater access to advertise their goods and services
• Worked hard to research and change a County ordinance that forced citizens to have to hire a plumber to certify that water leak issues were present and corrected in a home. Now simple fixes and adjustments due to leaks do not require all of that expense and red tape.
• Created the first-ever contractor and citizens forum to hear issues that we face within our permitting offices to address and fix those looming issues.
• Brought greater transparency to County government by requiring that County Board of Supervisor Meetings, Planning Commission, School Board Meetings and others to be live-streamed via social media, the County website and archived later for citizens to view.
• Reduced tens of thousands of dollars in unnecessary costs to the taxpayer by utilizing technology and new software to make County government more effective and efficient
• Over 600 new businesses have opened or expanded their operations into our County just during McCarty’s first term.
STAY TUNED FOR MORE NEWS COMING!!
2020 – 2023
Created a better Web experience for citizens
Created numerous task forces and boards with citizens involvement
Broke Ground and built a New Hardy Elementary School without raising taxes!
The BOS was going to raise taxes by $.04 per hundred on real estate / McCarty’s fiscal plan balanced the budget and funded the debt without a tax increase in the 21/22 budget season.
District Town Hall Meetings to hold with new model
Updated the Refuse and Recycling Centers to improve service and flow for our citizens
Appeared yearly sessions at the State legislature in behalf of Isle of Wight County Citizen
We Continued to Consolidate Services with Towns and Schools
Create a Student Liaison Program with the BOS through Senior Government Classes, allowing students to learn about local government.
Keep Taxes LOW
Create additional Customer Service Stations within the County
2024 – Beyond Plan